Columbia Gas Urges Motorists to Use Caution in Construction Zones
WESTBOROUGH — As Columbia Gas of Massachusetts invests in infrastructure replacement and growth projects in Massachusetts this year, the utility reminds motorists to use caution when approaching work zones and be prepared for slowed or temporarily stopped traffic during the construction season. Use the following tips to drive safely in a work zone:
• When approaching a construction work zone, obey police detail who may signal you to stop or slow down. Drivers who disobey an officer may be cited.
• Pay attention to and obey all signage posted in a construction work zone.
• Be prepared to yield right-of-way to workers and construction vehicles in active work zones.
• Rear-end collisions are common in work zones. Reduce your speed and double your following distance. Always travel at or below the posted speed for the work zone.
• Stay alert and do not drive distracte. Do not eat or use cell phones, computer devices, or car-audio systems when driving in construction zones.
• Be patient and remember that work-zone crew members are working to improve infrastructure for safety and convenience.
Columbia Gas is committed to minimizing inconvenience to motorists and will make every effort to limit traffic restrictions or delays this summer. The utility appreciates drivers’ patience while project work is completed.