Springfield Museums Announce ‘Week of Wonder’ Programs
SPRINGFIELD — The Springfield Museums have announced a slate of activities for the upcoming holiday vacation week. Visitors can enjoy a combination of fun activities, planetarium shows, and performances by some of the region’s best family performers, as well as the popular Seussian Holiday gingerbread exhibit at the Springfield Science Museum.
“Week of Wonder” events kick off on Saturday, Dec. 26 with all four Springfield Museums open regular hours, plus activities at the Hasbro Games Art Discovery Center and shows at the Seymour Planetarium. On Sunday, Dec. 27, the activities and events shift into high gear with a lively, interactive performance by Otha Day titled “Drum to the Beat” from 2 to 3 p.m. in SIS Hall, Wood Museum of Springfield History.
Performances on subsequent days will include:
• Mon., Dec. 28, 11 a.m.: Magician Scott Jameson (Davis Auditorium, D’Amour Museum). Marvel as umbrellas are plucked from thin air, drawings are brought to life, and basketballs are juggled.
• Tue., Dec. 29, 11 a.m.: Toe Jam Puppet Band performs “Toe Jam in Outer Space” (Davis Auditorium, D’Amour Museum). The show includes a spacey dress-up puppet show, some anti-gravity dancing, and original songs from the CD Toe Jam In Outer Space!
• Wed., Dec. 30, 11 a.m.: Interactive comedy magic and juggling. Join Robert Clarke for a charming and hysterical show featuring slight of hand, gravity-defying tricks, and comedy.
Other activities include:
• Seymour Planetarium Shows, 11:15 a.m., noon, 1 p.m., 2 p.m., Science Museum;
• Art Discovery Center, Noon to 4 p.m., GWVS Art Museum;
• Art Activities (Dec. 27-30 only), 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., Science Museum, science workshop; and
• Family Science Adventures (Dec. 27-30 only), 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., Science Museum.
“Week of Wonder” is part of the Museums’ Family Fun series. MassMutual is the 2015-16 premier sponsor of the Springfield Museums.
Admission is $18 for adults, $12 for seniors and college students, $9.50 for children 3-17, and free for children under 3 and museum members. General admission is free for Springfield residents with proof of address. Regular hours are Tuesdays through Saturdays, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., and Sundays, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. The Museums are also open Monday, Dec. 29 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. For more information, visit springfieldmuseums.org.